Thursday, May 15, 2014

Flight of the Mama Bee

Yesterday was a super productive day! I got so much done! That's right, things were DONE! I mean complete, finished, brought to an end. I do a lot during the day, but that usually means that I start a lot of things; the laundry gets washed, but not dried or folded, the dishwasher gets filled, but never emptied, and I take a shower, but rarely get dressed. But on this particular day, despite the fact that baby girl woke up 3 times during the night, things got done!

It started out with a morning cup of coffee. An entire cup! Still warm! I felt like I hit the jackpot already, but that was just the beginning! I was sure the little one was going to be a crank pot all day after waking up so many times during the night, but I was determined to get out of the house anyway. It was warm and sunny out and, maybe it was that jolt of  caffein I consumed all at once instead of small sips throughout the day, I was feeling ambitious. So I put the peanut in her car seat and headed to the grocery store, Just to pick up a prescription and a few greeting cards, not full on grocery shopping (I'm not that brave yet). Peanut fell asleep.

Hmmm, let's try to make one more stop, I thought. So we went to the mall to pick out an anniversary gift for the hubs.

Still sleeping.

On the way home, we pass a local nursery.  "Our back deck could use some color'" I whispered to my sleeping child. So we stopped again and picked up some petunias and potting soil and headed home.

When we got home, I had just enough time to unpack the car and get in the house before the little one finally woke up screaming. Perfect timing! I was happy with what I had just accomplished, but it didn't end there! After a diaper change and feeding, the little nugget fell asleep again! So I put her down in her crib, grabbed the baby monitor and the music started up in my head. My theme song for her nap times: The Flight of the Bumble Bee. It's the music I hear in my head when my baby takes a nap in her crib that lasts longer than 10 minutes and I quickly scan the house trying to prioritize the chores I can finish before she wakes up. Then I run around, checking things off the list in my head, without stopping, until I hear the buzzer (AKA screaming) that tells me my time is up. If you don't know the song, I pasted a link below. While you listen, take a look at the things I was able to complete!


-eat lunch
-go to shed and take out gardening tools
-put flowers in the planters on the deck railings
-pot some flowers on the front porch
-bring plants that were indoors for the winter out on the deck
-water all the plants
-empty the dishwasher
-clean kitchen counters
-pee
-unpack AND put away shipment of diapers and wipes (gotta love Amazon Mom!)
-break down boxes from shipment for recycling
-straighten up the living room

Phew! I couldn't believe it! I was so proud of myself and of my baby girl who has never slept that long in her crib before! I will mark this day as a success in my book and try not to hold myself to that standard in the morning because every day is completely different. Nothing is predictable. Tomorrow I might be lucky just to get the chance to brush my teeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment