Monday, October 8, 2018

Time is of the Essence

I'm home during the week now that I'm on maternity leave and it's amazing how time just doesn't exist. I never know what day it is, what time it is, or even what month it is! And it's fucking awesome! Because it doesn't matter! This is my time to feed, burp, change diapers, snuggle, snuggle, snuggle, and snuggle. I'm just mom now. All my other hats can wait.

For how long, you ask? I don't know. I have no concept of time right now, remember? Seriously! Don't ask me what time it is. I have no idea. At least not in the numerical sense.  These days my time is measured by daytime television. If you want to make plans to meet up with me for brunch, don't be surprised if I respond with "I should be able to leave the house by the fourth hour" (shout out to KLG and Hoda!). It's not uncommon for me to mutter to myself, "Oh shit. Dr. Phil is on and I haven't even finished a load of laundry!"

Settle down. I'm not a total couch potato. But a good part of my day is spent breastfeeding on the couch, staring at my beautiful baby, with HGTV playing in the background.

Oh, HGTV. You bring me comfort and anxiety all at once.  Watching professionals upgrade a dated kitchen is so satisfying. But as I'm nestled in the coziest corner of my couch, feeding my baby or just letting her sleep on my chest, I can't help but look around the room and take mental note of all the projects I would like to see done in my own home. Like now. Because time doesn't exist to me.

Hmmm, I think I can probably paint this room in about 2 Fixer Uppers and a Property Brothers episode...

My husband is no longer phased when he comes home from work, asks me how my day was and I say something along the lines of "Great! See that wall over there? Is that load bearing? Let's knock it down. And paint this room. It would really make this room feel more open. I found a great deal on a new sectional too. What do you think about this side table I found on an online garage sale? I'm sure I can sand and repaint it if the color doesn't work. Right?"

And he so patiently says "Sure. Let me just get dinner started first."

That's why I love him! He just gets me.

Oh, wow. Look at the time! It's almost Love It or List It. Time for lunch!

P.S. The new sectional is being delivered on Thursday!!! 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment